The Many Roles of a Mental Health Therapist. Find the best psychiatrist in Kolkata.
Mental health has always been and always will be a crucial component of existence and well-being. The current Pandemic is itself so unpredictable and threatening that people may find themselves needing us (i.e. Mpower Kolkata, the Number one mental health Organization in India) more than ever! Today we shall try to help us understand what roles your therapist plays in the various aspects of your life.
A therapist is NOT a friend or an acquaintance but rather, a professional guide and supporter. The term professional essentially guarantees that we always remain objective and unbiased during the sessions. A therapist’s duty consists of understanding and analysing a client’s problems and developing a treatment plan in collaboration with the client. This requires us to be resourceful, open-minded and flexible so that we may treat our clients as per their unique requirements.
- Active listener and confidante -Active listening involves absorbing with all senses. Listening is not something that is automatic (unlike hearing), listening is a conscious and active process in which the therapist takes in and understands the thoughts and emotions of the speaker.
Listeners is ideally neutral and non-judgmental, which means you need not worry about side-taking or any judgement from your therapist. Active listening also involves patience - short periods of silence and pauses are fully acceptable.
Associated processes include……
The therapist may ask some questions in intervals which also demonstrates that they have been paying attention to the contents you are offering them. By using relevant questions, the therapist is fully able to grasp even the tiniest details of what you are trying to communicate.
Reflecting is essentially repeating or summarizing what the speaker has said “in a nut-shell”. Reflection is a crucial skill that can not only make your aware of the therapists understanding but also give you a chance to hear your story from another source
Clarifying involves asking questions to the client in order to clear any minor confusions one may have. Clarification usually involves asking relevant questions which helps the client to expand and elaborate on certain aspects of their issue.
- Co-pilot- a therapist does not give you strict instructions as to how to live your life. Rather, a therapist helps you smoothly navigate through your life while providing awareness towards the hurdles around you and shows you the alternative paths you may take. In short, the therapist is going to work with you right by your side!
- Guide and mentor- the work of a psychologist is to enable and empower you whilst gently helping you develop self-dependence. In short, your therapist tries to guide you so that you may-
- Recognize your interests, abilities and strengths
- Work upon your weaknesses whilst acknowledging that not everybody can do everything
- Develop positive and productive relationships with others in your environment
- Develop your areas of problem-solving, decision-making and self-management.
- Set realistic goals and find effective ways to reach them
Setting healthy boundaries in and finding a stable balance in different aspects of life
Always remember that visiting a therapist doesn’t necessarily have to involves significant life problems. One can consult a therapist to live a more satisfying and fulfilling life, whilst making the most of what you have!
- Mirror-the process of mirroring essentially involves the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, to understand and acknowledge what they are going through and to be able to guide them in discovering a strategy that is meaningful and suitable for them. One of the gains in therapy is the feeling of being acknowledged, understood and validated by another person in a non-judgemental and empathetic environment. Thus, by mirroring, a therapist essentially accepts and connects with the client.
Most individuals respond positively to mirroring as it is a clear indication that the other person is fully engrossed and focused in what it is being said. Similarly, the tone of voice would be balanced, calm and reassuring. It may also involve using similar language as used by the client, phrases, and expressions that the client commonly identifies with. This helps in building trust and connection with the therapist
- Unbiased liaison- the therapist is never on anybody’s ‘side’ and has been trained to remain impartial and objective. The therapist may serve as the bridge between either you and the environment/world or with another person such as your spouse, family member (as seen in family therapy or couple’s counselling/marital therapy).Therapists who have taken sessions and interacted with the couple thus have an advantage in that they are aware of all the relevant issues between the couple, individual dissatisfaction and also have the knowledge of sensitive issues such as any issues with their children, interconnected financial matters, etc.. The therapist will have also spent time building up trust, which is essential to the mediation process. In this manner, your therapist can help clear any misunderstanding or miscommunication which may cause us several problems in the long run.
For seeking mental health therapy in Kolkata, visit or contact the centre here- https://mpowerminds.com/contact
Mpower has centres in other cities as well like Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore.
Best ways to create awareness about depression among employees.
Find out if you are at risk of a mental health breakdown. Find the best
therapy services in Kolkata.
What to expect from psychotherapy and how it works?
What happens in the best mental health clinic in Kolkata?
Signs to see in a person who may be depressed. Find the best psychiatrist
for depression in Kolkata.
Anger management- Consult a psychologist in Kolkata.
Are mental health problems genetic? Can they be avoided? Find a psychiatric
consultant in Kolkata.
Image credits - Freepik