Signs to see in a person who may be depressed. Find the best psychiatrist for depression in Kolkata
Depression is one term which gets used very casually and also gets misinterpreted by a lot of people. There are so many individuals who use depression as an equivalent for sadness. When going through low mood, people casually say “I am so depressed”. Awareness regarding depression needs to be created for people to understand that depression is not only sadness, but it is an illness with several signs or pointers. During depression, emotions such as hopelessness and sadness take hold and just won’t go away, you may have depression. More than just sadness in response to life’s challenges and setbacks, depression changes how you think, feel, and function in daily activities. It can obstruct your ability to work, study, eat, sleep, and enjoy life. Just trying to get through the day can be overwhelming. No matter how hopeless you feel, you can get better. By understanding the causes and recognizing the different signals or symptoms and types of depression, you can take the first steps to feeling better & overcoming the problem.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- Persisting Low Mood: People feel low in general life as well, but if that feeling persist for more than a week without any reason, we may have to think about depression.
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook- nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.
- Loss of interest in daily activities. People stop caring about daily activities and daily routines. During depression people are mostly seen lying down on bed, without much energy for anything else.
- Changes in Biological functions like sleep and appetite: Significant weight loss or weight gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month. People lose interest in biological functions like eating, sleep, sexual activity.
- Anger and Irritability: Feeling agitated, restless, or even violent. At the time of depression, one’s tolerance level is low, temper is short, and everything and everyone gets on one’s nerves
- Unexplained Bodily Symptoms: An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain are seen.
- Poor Self Esteem: People start doubting themselves and get negative thoughts frequently about themselves
- Pessimism: People generally become pessimistic about self, others and future.
Here Is the checklist to check whether You/ your family member/Friend might be having depression or not:
- Am I / my close person feeling low without any reason?
- Do I / my close person communicate less than before?
- Do I/my close person feel tired all the time?
- Am I/my close person crying without reason?
- Do I/ my close person not doing daily activities like bathing, eating, sleeping properly?
- Am I/my close person losing weight?
- Am I/my close person having pessimistic thought most of the time?
If these indicators are present, it’s important to seek treatment. For treatment, one need to find Psychiatrist or clinical psychologist for counselling . You can find counsellors in hospitals or mental health establishments. You can also reach out to hospitals which have a dedicated department of psychiatry or psychology. Multispecialty mental health clinics may also be of help for mental health counselling. Please identify depression, and seek treatment because delaying the treatment can lead to poor mental health.
You can avail mental health services at Mpower centres located in Mumbai Bangalore and Kolkata.
Also read, Depression due to grief. Find the best psychiatrist for
depression near you.
Best ways to create awareness about depression among employees. Find best
psychologist in Kolkata.
Is post partum depression affecting your work? Find the top place to seek
mental health services in Kolkata.
How does depression affect your daily life? Where to seek help in
Common questions people ask about depression and mental health disorders
and finding a good psychiatrist in Mumbai.
Conquering depression. Find the best psychiatrist in Kolkata for