Why you should look for a child psychologist. Find the best child psychologist in Kolkata
Child is the father of the man –William Wordsworth
Childhood is a very influential time in a person’s life. Events that happen when we’re young – even small, seemingly insignificant ones – can have a direct impact on how we feel and behave as adults. The mental health of a person is directly related to the experiences one goes through, get exposed when they are a child. So the mental health, welfare of a child is equally, if not more, important than one adult.
Sometimes child faces complications in ways they typically learn, behave, or handle their emotions, which cause distress and problems getting through the day. Like any adult, child also goes through trauma, mental health issues, mental disorder, emotional turmoil. Child psychology is the specialised field, equipped to deal with mental health difficulties faced by anyone under 18 years of age. Child psychologist are the people who assess, understand and give intervention for this specific group.
The mental Health Complications faced by Children
Children can face several mental Health Issues like:
- Neuro-Developmental Difficulties/Delays: When a child is not reaching developmental milestones at proper age, it is called developmental Delay. For example, a child might not start talking or walking at proper age, or have difficulties in writing or reading when other children of his/her age being able to do so. If that is the case, one need to consult child psychologist. Child psychologist will first assess, the reason behind the delay, and then plan intervention. For example, most common reason behind developmental delay is less than average intelligence quotient (IQ). Child psychologist through assessment, find out the IQ, explain parents the expected function level with that IQ and also suggest appropriate techniques through which children can reach their own potential. Other neuro-developmental difficulties will be poor attention span and hyperactivity, technically called as Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity (ADHD), Scholastic difficulty even after adequate effort and average IQ called Dyslexia or learning disability, Social and communication problem called autistic spectrum disorder.
- Behavioural Problems: All young children can be naughty, defiant and impulsive from time to time, which is perfectly normal. However, some children have extremely difficult and challenging behaviours that are outside the norm for their age. The most common disruptive behaviour disorders include oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), conduct disorder (CD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). These three behavioural disorders share some common symptoms, so diagnosis can be difficult and time consuming.
- Emotional Problems: Emotional problems, such as anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) tend to occur in later childhood. They are often difficult to be recognised early by the parents or other care givers as many children have not developed appropriate vocabulary and comprehension to express their emotions intelligibly. Emotional problems including disordered eating behaviour and low self-image.
Also read: What Happens In The Best Mental Health Clinic In Kolkata?
Red Flags which indicates need for Clinical Psychological intervention
The main indicators, which shows need for psychological interventions are :
- ✓ Developmental Delay
- ✓ Major scholastic difficulties
- ✓ Difficulties in sleeping and eating
- ✓ Nightmares
- ✓ Being withdrawn or aggressive
- ✓ Complain of pain in stomach or headache without physical reason
- ✓ Having fears, being afraid to be left alone
- ✓ Clinging, depending behaviours
- ✓ New fears manifest (for instance of the dark)
- ✓ Decreased interest in playing and engaging in playful activities
- ✓ Being sad, crying more than usual or for no apparent reason
- ✓ Being anxious without appropriate reason
- ✓ Problem in communication
- ✓ Exposure to any major trauma in life
Finding out child psychologist in Kolkata
Child psychologist is a person with degree or diploma in clinical psychology. They should have enough experience in working with child population. Working with child population needs ability to connect with child population, build rapport, having patience, understanding and respecting their point of views. Child Psychologist could be found in hospitals or mental health establishments. Multispecialty mental health clinics, where holistic treatment is provided, might have clinical psychologist. One can use personal reference to look for clinical psychologist in Kolkata. Google is a one stop solution for everything. One can search on google for finding out “Clinical Psychologist” in “Kolkata”. On google, feedback and ratings are also available, so it is advisable to check the ratings or feedback given by others for reference. Please seek help if a child needs it, because early diagnosis and intervention can improve the chance of cure.